Previous Page

by ArcticJaguar725 at 5:17 PM EDT on April 12, 2021
I can attempt to explain phase inversion briefly. First, you'll want to import both tracks into your DAW. (I personally use/recommend Audacity for this in particular, as it satisfactorily meets my needs for zoomed audio visualization.) From here, try to line up the two waveforms horizontally as precisely as possible with each other (this pretty much needs to be sample perfect to yield good results). If the two are matches, this process should be even easier to do. Here's an example visually what I mean:

Once your two waveforms are lined up, you'll need to highlight the entire second waveform and navigate to Effect->Invert. From here, you should be able to check how well the phase inversion worked through playback. To properly visualize the difference, you'll want to select everything (Ctrl+A) and navigate to Tracks->Mix->Mix and Render to New Track (or just Ctrl+Shift+M) to generate a new waveform that you can inspect visually.

Make sure when inspecting differences through phase inversion to zoom in vertically on the resulting waveform, as the reverb differences may not be very visible even if present. If the two waveforms match, you shouldn't see much more than small bits of noise at full zoom.

Here's an example of a match:

EDIT: I should note also that there is at least one instrument in my experience (I think the vibraphone) that does not produce a matching output between dvdroot and game dumps. I don't know if this is because these dumps are coming from two different versions of Dolphin or something else, but the difference should be minute enough that you can probably ignore it for compiling game rips. Heck, if you were trying to phase invert the City Midnight Theme, it might not match at all since the entire thing is basically vibraphone.

edited 5:39 PM EDT April 12, 2021
by Chubby_Bub at 7:36 PM EDT on April 12, 2021
This time it worked, I was using Audacity to invert but I had trimmed the audio from a very long Dolphin dump in FL Studio, which changed the exported version. When I imported it straight into Audacity and trimmed it, it worked perfectly.

This tells me that the city themes most likely all use the same reverb parameters (although I will have to investigate the vibraphone issue), and next I will check some indoor shop themes. I get the feeling they all use the reverb but I want to make sure. Thanks once again for your help.
by Chubby_Bub at 8:55 PM EDT on April 12, 2021
Well, I just found that the Marquee uses reverb, but Nook's Cranny does not. Which makes it a bit more complicated...

Edit: actually the Marquee doesn't. so I suspect, but am not sure, that indoor themes do not use reverb.

edited 8:58 PM EDT April 12, 2021
by ArcticJaguar725 at 10:12 PM EDT on April 12, 2021
I haven't investigated too far into indoor tracks, though I do think I remember Nook's Cranny having no reverb from my testing, so that sounds right to me. I also believe some of the tutorial themes had no reverb as well, though I haven't checked all of them to be sure.

Previous Page
Go to Page 0 1 2 3

Search this thread

Show all threads

Reply to this thread:

User Name Tags:

bold: [b]bold[/b]
italics: [i]italics[/i]
emphasis: [em]emphasis[/em]
underline: [u]underline[/u]
small: [small]small[/small]
Link: [url=http://www.google.com]Link[/url]